Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy Maundy Thursday

As I'm sure most of you are aware we're in the depths of Holy Week here and today is Maundy (Holy) Thursday celebrating the last supper. And don't forget the Easter (another pagan celebration (Eostre) yoinked by the Church to ease recruitment and up their numbers) is fast approaching, right now if I can be honest with you my favourite part of Easter is the four day weekend, that's right bitches I get Good Friday (mandated stat holiday in Canada) and Easter Monday off.

But enough of the preaching, how about
the video up there? That is the opening couple minutes from the Henry Rollins show I was at this past Sunday. It was a great show for sure, Henry hasn't let me down yet. I may not always agree with what he has to say, but damn if I don't like to listen to him.

If you haven't heard his spoken word stuff before, check it out, there's bunches of it on
YouTube or check out some of his writings; I don't like it all (I prefer his stories about his experiences to his poetry, as very few of them involve a man from Nantucket or a girl named Jill). Get in the Van (either on CD or in book format) is something that you should check out, I thought it was a great book and I was utterly amazed at just how rough one of the most important bands in the American hardcore scene lived.

And today is not just the selected anniversary of
the Last Supper, but it's also the anniversary of the death of England's King Henry the Fourth in 1413, Sir Isaac Newton in 1727 and the Beatles in 1969 . . . well not quite, today is actually John Lennon & Yoko Ono's wedding anniversary. I'm no Beatles fan so I have no real opinion about the quality of their music before or after she came on the scene.

Sure there are some Beatles songs I like, but I'm far from rabid over them.
But onto to something more important & current; March 19th 2008 is a sad day for not just the realm of sci-fi but to the world at large as one of our greatest contemporary, and one of my personal favourite, authors
Mr. Arthur C. Clarke died at the age of 90 on his adopted home, the island nation of Sri Lanka.

If you ever watched
Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World you'll get that last reference there.

And some new from the world of
classic British heavy metal, Iron Maiden has added more Canadian shows to their Somewhere Back in Time tour, and one of them includes a June 9, 2008 stop at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. Oh you know I'll be there rocking out like it's 1984 all over again . . . and I'm not just saying that because they stage set for this tour is based on the one from the Powerslave tour. Get your tickets here, when they go on sale next week, if you're interested.

Well that's more than enough for today - I'm outta here.

No comments: