Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Monday, April 07, 2008

What does it cost you to flush your toilet?

I'm wondering because the water rates in my lovely municipality are going to be going up considerably over the next two years to address the requirements of Ontario Bill 175 the Sustainable Water & Sewage Systems Act, and I'm curious if it's in line with other Municipalities in the area, and everywhere else, are paying.

I would assume it's standard operating procedure, but presently we have a minimum monthly charge for the sewer and water service of $64.11 per billing (not per month per billing, no guarantee that your water meter will be read on the first of every month or every 30 days) and for this minimum we are presently allowed up to 18 cubic meters (18000 litres or about 4762 US gallons or about 3965 Imperial gallons) of water, but as of June 1st our minimum charge will be lower to $64.10 per billing. Oh an in case your wondering I'm pretty sure that our water bills show consumption in gallons, probably US gallons, but I'm not positive of that. Something to check into.

Sounds good doesn't it? Well as they say on the informercials, but wait there's more. You see the amount of water that we will be allowed for the minimum rate is being cut to 12 cubic metres (12000 litres or about 3175 US gallons or about 2643 Imperial gallons), so you see we'll be getting 2/3's the water for the same price. What a deal, nearly 1.5 times the present water & sewer minimum charge, provided you don't go over the cap that is.

But like any good sales pitch of course there's more; in 2009 the minimum rate will climb to $80.77, nearly 1.89 times the present minimum charge, still for 2/3's the water, and in 2010 the minimum charge will shoot up over $100 to $101.37 per billing for about 2.37 times the present minimum charge.

And the municipality's CAO actually had the nerve to say that if residents consciously make and effort to use less water it will be cheaper in March 26 edition of the local paper. How? I guess if I can invest the 1 cent that I can potentially save each month if I can reduce my water usage from my last year's average of 3263.33 per billing, I can use that money to help offset the jump in rates that's coming.

Ah now I'm pissed off about this all over again . . . but maybe some others will be now to . . . but then of course I'm sure that's still a fraction of what people in Arizona pay for water and sewer services, but that's a desert. My town is situated on the shores of a lake, that is connected to other lakes that is surrounded by lakes.

Ah what the hell, just one of the finer points of living in Sioux Lookout, like $1.10 a litre for heating oil or $1.28 a litre for regular gasoline (most expensive listed at OntarioGasPrices.com).

But hey enough whinging for now, eh? Let's leave on a high note, like this picture that easily combines of two of the greatest things ever invented . . . or maybe it's three depending on how you want to count it.

Hopefully next time there'll be less pissing and moaning and more not quite news and infotainment for you.

Later.

No comments: