Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day Yo

As far as I know today is Earth Day. If you're anything like me you're going to celebrate by driving to work in a V8 (and no I haven't modified my hippy mobile to run on shitty tasting vegetable cocktail) powered vehicle a distance that can be easily walked in under ten minutes. But hopefully you're a better person than I am. I'm sure local school kids will be out picking garbage (if that's not too dangerous for your precious little snowflakes to do anymore) today which is a good thing because in this town it seems there's a general wide held misconception that throw away coffee cups from Timmy Ho's (which have travelled at least 60 miles from the nearest store to get here, how's that for a carbon foot print?), Robin's Donuts and (gasp) yes even Roy Lane are completely biodegradable and/or provide excellent shelter for the elusive Northwestern Ontario Land Hermit Crab so they tossed where ever the cup is emptied.
.
I guess it could be worse, after all it could be 6 pack yolks.
.
No matter, in honour of the day here's a slide show showing some of Mother Nature's best ideas (our weather as of late is not even close to being on this list) and how the most advanced (and hairless) apes on the planet are doing their best to mimic them for our own profit & gain. The bit about the termite mounds is pretty interesting.
.
And you know when it comes to the environment not everything sounds bad is bad, like until reading this I had no idea that toxic lakes were good things, or at least could be for migraine sufferers.
.
And well you gotta show both sides of the story, maybe, well okay you do when it supports your cause I suppose, but here's an interesting article talking about the downsides of green jobs, like how the cost over 2 jobs somewhere else . . . but as long as that somewhere else isn't your somewhere else, who cares, right?
.
And oh yeah if you've ever fancied a peek at Joss Stone's shiny giny here's your chance. Yeah I know it doesn't have anything to do with Earth Day, but the pics are from Coachella so I'm sure there were a lot of soap dodging granola munchers there.
.
And finally, happy birthday to Bettie Page and Marilyn Chambers . . . think of all self gratification that those two ladies inspired during their careers.
.
Until next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.