Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Shot Heard Around the World

Today is the 93rd anniversary of the infamous Shot Heard Around the World that started the first World War. The shot in question was the fatal shooting of Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sofia, pregnant at the time, in Sarajevo by Gavrilo Princip (an ethnic Serb, but later proclaimed to be a Yoguslav Nationalist). The sad twist of irony to this is that before the shooting Nedjelko Cabrinovic tried to throw a grenade into the Duke's (not John Wayne, Franz Ferdinand again) car but he was able to knock it aside with his arm, and his driver sped off from the scene. It was during the return drive that Princip was able to shoot the Duke & Duchess. Five weeks after these assassinations World War I broke out in Europe.

Enough with the history; how about some current events coverage? The Chris Benoit family murder suicide has been getting loads of main stream media attention so I won't put too much into it at the moment, but from what I've read/heard he strangled his wife, smothered his son (who was suffering from something called Fragile X Syndrome and who may or may not have been getting HGH injections) before hanging himself from a pulley on one of his weight machines. You can read articles on this topic just about everywhere, but here are a few links in case you don't want to Google it, here, here and here. Here's an article with comments from the Excellence of Execution himself Brett Hart.

For some local news the town of Ignace had a terrible storm on Tuesday, complete with tornado touch down, causing a whole lot of havoc and damage in the town. Luckily injuries were at a minimum although property damages were pretty extensive. You can an article about it here or here if you're interested . . . the first link has a couple pictures in it.

This one isn't exactly current or local, but I had to share it; this article contains the new definition for balls. Seems that an Indiana lawyer has himself a few drinks, crashes car into truck, kills a person then says "I hope the guy has insurance to fix my car.” I can almost hear them clanking together from here.

And finally for all the people who think *I* have too much time on hands, here's proof I don't or if not proof of that some evidence that other people have even more time on their hands.

Well I'm going back up to Wunnumin Lake this morning, but no Governor General this time, or at least not that I know of. Who knows, though I am a pretty worldly cosmopolitan dude. Wish me luck.

Until next blog.

No comments: