Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Friday, July 21, 2006

Move over Winnipeg - here comes Edmonton!

Looks like Canada has a new murder capital, or at least according to this article we do. Wanna know what makes this fact even more amazing? Our killiest city is still less killy than the US' 3rd least killy city, Colorado Springs at 4.8/100,000.

Would you like to know why there's fewer murders in Winnipeg? It's because they are all too busy stealing cars. From January 1 to June 30 there have been 7000 cars stolen in Winnipeg. A 25% increase from last year. June 29 was an especially bad day with 32 cars stolen.

Queue up the Weakerthans "One Great City". If you don't know the band or the song, the band's from Winnipeg and the song does a pretty good job of summing Winnipeg in a couple minutes. Although it does leave out the City's love for auto theft, murders, arson and Slurpees (Winnipeg is also the Slurpee Capitol of Canada and Manitoba the Slurpee Capitol of the World - scroll down a bit for that one).

Enough about Winnipeg onto something more important, like the DVD release of the early 80's Dungeons & Dragons cartoon to DVD. Hmmm I might have to make room on my shelf for that . . . or just DL a few episodes to see if it's still as cool as I remember it was when I was a kid. Damn you Pink Popcorn, damn you to hell for letting me down.


Oh what a mate we have in Jesus!

When we were in Australia I noticed, and I think pointed out, a sheet of paper on the notice board in the Church of the wedding we went to with that written on it. Well it turns out some bloke has translated the Bible from English to Australian, and it's selling like the the pies at Harry's Cafe de Wheels at pub close. I might have to pick up a copy my own self.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Long time listener, first time caller. I gotta give big props to the big guy for surfing the interweb and filtering out all the crap for me. 1 more week until Blueberry baby, yeah!!

They call him the FINN