Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Don't Read These Books

According to the conservative Human Events, these are the ten most harmful books of the 19th and 20th centuries. I guess I'm not so subversive because I've only read passages from one of these books for a class in my short but brilliant university career and I didn't think it was that good. The book not uni . . . well maybe both because I did drop out of uni after all.
.
Now according to the Guardian (and who are they when they're at home?) these are the 100 greatest novels of all time. It may come as a surprise to you, but I've only read seven of the books on this list - and I haven't read The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird or Catch 22 all of which seem to be books that just about everyone else can't get out of high school without reading - and I swear I graduated high school . . . just don't ask me where my diploma is at.
.
Since we're in the countdown/list mode, how's about The 100 Worst Album Covers Ever? I actually five of the records on that list . . . can you guess which ones? And I don't know about you, but I'm not too surprised to see the Scorpions up there as much as they are, I mean really take a look for yourself. I guess now you know they aren't all winds of change and rocking you like a hurricane, eh?
.
Why stop the countdown now - let's check out the 100 Most Daring Movies Ever Made, shall we? This is my best go yet, I've seen 28 of the films on this list . . . huh maybe I should get outside sometime eh?
.
From the 100 most daring films to the ten best films you've never seen and I have to admit I've only seen one of the films on this list and it was great. You should totally check it out. In one of my English classes in high school (OAC Writer's Craft to be exact) we were supposed to read the play or novel or novella that the film was based on and no one in the class did . . . for some reason the teacher got very mad and then dropped that from the course. Maybe it was to punish us . . . surely making us write a test on a book we never read would have been even more punishment, but who am I to argue?
.
And I'll sign off today with one that will appeal to the kids out there like me who watched too much cartoons and still do, The Cobra Island Rave, a fine little sketch where He-Man, Lion-O and the gang arrive at the Cobra Island Rave where He-Man sets his sights on hooking up with Cheetara.

No comments: