Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, March 26, 2009

And the band didn't play on

It was today in 1942 that the Nazis started shipping Jews to Auschwitz.
.
In other related news the original plans for the camp were found in a Berlin apartment. You can read about it here, and see the plans themselves and some words in German here. I think there'd be something strange and powerful I think about holding those plans in your hands . . . and I thought it was pretty cool when I got my hands on plans for the old Catholic school here in town.
.
And I can take some pleasure in knowing that I can draft better than the Nazi's Leindraftencorps. Ubermensch mein ass!
.
I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again, if you haven't read Maus, do yourself a favour and do it.
.
In other sad news surrounding this place Auschwitz Museum is struggling to preserve the site as nature is reclaiming it. You can read more about it here if you're so inclined. I suppose it's too much to expect something hastily built as a temporary facility to stand the ravages of time and nature. I haven't been there but i surely hope that they can pull it off and save this place. Not every museum has to be a happy place.
.
Well that's it for today - I'm sure we'll get back to our more regularly scheduled programing next time.

No comments: