Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Scream for me Winnipeg!

Monday night I saw one of the best concerts of my life, Iron Maiden at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg on their Somewhere Back in Time tour, a dusting off of the infamous World Slavery tour, of sorts, where the Live After Death album was recorded over. The show was fantastic, the band sounded perfect (although the vocals/mic seemed to get lost in the mix a couple of times throughout the night), I got to see two different Eddies on stage (finally when I saw them play in Minneapolis with Blaze Bayley fronting the band it was in a bar and there was no Eddie), first a mummy Eddie and then the Somewhere in Time Eddie, and not only it was it the first sell out that I was at in the MTS Centre, it was the first time I've seen people in the Upper Bowl of the arena.
.
I'm not the only one who felt this way about the show, see what the Winnipeg Free Press thought about the show here. And there are a bunch of videos from the concert up on YouTube here if you're interested . . . and I know you are . . . and jealous.
.
If you weren't there you missed out big time, but have hope. There was talk of touring in support of new material with stops in Canada (Bruce commented on how fast the Western Canadian shows sold out, but when you don't play somewhere for 17 years that kinda thing is bound to happen . . . actually Bruce also accurately commented how that some of the people in the crowd weren't even born the last time they played in the 'Peg) and Bruce also mentioned a festival show in Winnipeg, but I think that was just stage talk, like when a band tells the crowd that their the best one on the tour, every night.
.
But it'd be cool, imagine it the Winnipeg Open Air Metal Festival, maybe it could rival Wacken?
.
And since it's Winnipeg you know you won't look out of place if you show up in your grain truck or on your tractor.
.
And if you're interested you can go here to save $10 on Cirque du Soleil Saltimbanco matinee tickets for their Winnipeg shows in July. I have absolutely no interest in going to see this, but maybe you do.
.
That's enough for today - UP THE IRONS!

No comments: