Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who needs zoom zoom zoom?

When you could be roaring down the highway at 205 factory miles per hour (328 km/h) in a 638 horsepower 2009 Corvette ZR1 (BTW that's Zed-R-1 not Zee-R-1, doesn't it sound so much more pansy when you say Zee instead of Zed?). Try to tell me that wouldn't be a fun car to drive . . . and to think my car is only 310 horsepower and tops off at 163 miles per hour (not that I've ever driven it that fast, honest). You can read a little more about the high speed run on a German track here if you like, but what's left to know, maybe other than how badly did the dude in the passenger shit himself when the driver hammered on the throttle.
.
But with record high gas prices maybe you aren't really in the market for a sports car and want something more fuel efficient, like the electric Tesla Roadster (0 - 60 mph in under 4 seconds) or maybe even a Vespa (0 - 60 if you throw it out of a plane)?.
.
You wanna talk gasoline price records, right now gasoline is cheaper in Wunnumin Lake ($1.35/litre) than in Sioux Lookout ($1.439/litre or $6.53/imperial gallon or $5.44/US gallon), maybe the oil companies should read this article about how it's only a myth that we're running out of oil? In case they're not quite right, how about this (albeit somewhat aged) article about Israel getting oil from a stone, please make your own jokes about cheap Jewish people, I won't do it for it you. Seems the process involves crushing shale and at the time of writing that article was costing about $20 per barrel. Oil from stone $20, oil from Omar et al. $130 . . . this seems pretty straight forward to me. All I want to know is if I can get any 91 octane granite around here?
.
How do gas prices in your town stack up? I guess you can play the compare game here, or at any of the other similar sites for other cities/provinces in case you don't like in the great province of Ontario. I guess it could be worse, we could be paying European prices for gasoline. If our gas prices have you on the verge of tears seeing the Euro prices will put you into a deep depression . . . the kind of depression where you wear all black and just hangout in your room writing more of your shitty poetry in that ratty spiral bound notebook listening to The Cure . . . if I only I could ride my bike all year round (my mileage was almost 73 miles per imperial gallon last night on a mix of highway and town driving) I'd be laughing. Or at least crying less . . . okay crying about different stuff.
.
Actually I've said it before and I'll surely say it again, if gas dropped down to $1.00/litre I'd have a party - shit I'd probably spray some up in the air and put a little in the tank of the car next to me because it'd be so fucking cheap. And to think I can remember a time when I thought that a buck a litre was expensive . . . makes me think back to my high school shop teacher so said I'd see the $5.00 gallon of gas in my life time and how right he was . . . I just wonder if he also thought he'd see it in his?
.
I think the only real way to affect change in the price of oil/gasoline/energy whatever you want to call it is to use less of the stuff, supply will out grow demand and then prices should drop. Although I could also see the energy companies getting tired of shrinking profit margins when we all become tree hugging soap dodgers and them increasing the cost per unit of energy so that they can continue shit loonies (imagine the noise that'd make) and wipe with $100 bills (imagine the mess that would make). Gee does that make me sound cynical?
.
Seeing as how I mentioned Vespas earlier, the Winnipeg Vespa dealership has been advertising a lot on Power 97 lately and the basic gist of the commercials is that Vespas aren't just for Nancy-boys, they're modern new age guys who love the environment & not spending much on gas and no doubt wear eyeliner and carry murses. I'm sure that ad campaign will sell tons of the bikes in Winnipeg (which is the ironic font again?). Perhaps they should have played up the mod-chic of them from days gone by? That's what I would have done . . . and then maybe we could have Mods and Rockers battling it out at Assiniboine Park just like at Brighton in 1964. I wonder if that would steal headlines away from Winnipeg's car thefts, gang action and North End fun fairs?.
.
Oh yeah and to quote the Weakerthans, the Guess Who sucked and the Jets were lousy anyway.
.
That's about enough of that for now, how about a little fun? Yeah I thought you'd like that, so here's the Planet Rock Album Cover Quiz. On my first go through I could get 12 of the 54. There were more that I recognised but couldn't put names to . . . can you help a brother out?
.
Remember, fuck a mod.

No comments: