Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Come From the Water

I don't know about you, but was pretty excited last night when I read this and learned that the Toadies have released a new album, their first in seven years. If you aren't excited about this news, I have to ask why? Maybe you don't remember the Toadies, but maybe you remember their big hit (Possum Kingdom - a rather catchy tune about obsession, stalking and maybe murder) from their first national release Rubberneck.
.
Oh you know I'll be getting this one . . . I wonder if they'll be touring and more importantly will they play Winnipeg? It might not be that much of a stretch, after all when another of my favourite long disbanded 90's bands, Urge Overkill, went on their first tour in seven years, Winnipeg was one of their few stops, don't ask me why, and they rocked the shit out of the Pyramid Cabaret.
.
You've got to go and check out these photos. They were taken by John Macfie while he worked with the Department of Lands and Forests in Northern Ontario, in the 50's & 60's mostly, all around Northern and Northwestern Ontario in or near places like Fort Severn, Attawapiskat, Moose Factory, Sandy Lake, Round Lake, Sioux Lookout, Bearskin Lake, Mattagami, even some from Parry Sound, showing the lands and native people in a variety of activities. There's some pretty interesting pictures there, and who knows you might see someone you know.
.
I didn't recognize any faces but did recognize some last names, but that's pretty easy do when you're working up north I think.
.
No matter, how about some travel talk? Seems that since I'm going back to Cuba in January this article where Raul Castro tells Cuba to be ready for some tough times may not be the best news I could find. I'm sure everything will be fine, and while we're there I'm sure there'll be something going on in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the revolution.
.
In closer to now fun and frivolity I may just go and check out the Flatlanders Beer Festival in Winnipeg this year. How can you go wrong with a hall full of high end beers available for the sampling? And it goes to a good cause, just don't ask me what it is . . . which is a completely different thing from every other time I've been full of beer in downtown Winnipeg.
.
Here's a little quiz that's suffering from the great idea poor execution syndrome where you're supposed to guess the movie from the stick people drawing. This would be great fun but the captions below the pictures totally give the movies away and I think they would even with out the stick people drawings.
.
Well that's all we gots time for today, so I'll leave you with this video of how I make the ladies sound when I works my magicks.

No comments: