Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Friday, August 01, 2008

I Want My MTV

Can you believe that it was 27 years ago today, way back in 1981 that MTV first hit the airwaves, first playing the Buggles Video Killed the Radio Star (just ask Christopher Cross how true that statement is/was/are/am) followed immediately by Pat Benatar's You'd Better Run.
.
Make your own crack about how MTV, and similarly Much Music, used to play videos, hee hee ho ho. That's original shit there. Speaking of Much Music, what ever happened to Erica Ehm? I'm sure I bring that up every time I mention Much Music, but anyone got an answer for me? Oh I guess this is what she's doing, thanks Google, you rarely let me down.
.
Well we're kinda talking music so how about some good news, bad news from the world of rock . . . first the bad news. According to this interview with Tom Araya Slayer is under contract for one more album, and it may be their last for fear of becoming what Ozzy has. Big ups for getting out on top, but boo-urns to the possibility of only one more new Slayer record . . . and their last record was top shelf Slayer as far as I'm concerned and I saw them play the MTS Centre a couple summers ago and they were fantastic on stage. No encore though, but I think there's some sort of rule about not playing past 11:00 in that arena because I haven't been to a show there yet that went much past 11:00.
.
Now for the good news, according to this Megadeth are getting ready and/or getting a studio ready to record a new record and after seeing them in Winnipeg this spring, read about the experience here, and thinking that their latest record was as good as anything they ever did I'm as hap-hap-happy, as metal fan is allowed to be under international metal conventions, can be.
.
Well it looks like I didn't hit the nerd prom again, but here's a close 2nd, how's about a nice slideshow of some of the costumes from the convention floor, opening with a nice shot showing why they call her Mrs. Inredible.
.
And where can I find a bird who dresses like this? The one on the right wisenheimer. Oh well at least I'm not the only one with an unhealthy attraction to animated ladies. You know you've got a problem if you thought he left out Batgirl, Catwoman and Supergirl.
.
Back to the SDCC check out this slide show of some of the great things revealed at this year's event.
.
Sadly I've got to link a little more serious news here, have you read about the Manitoba Greyhound Murder? Truly grizzly horror movie stuff to be sure, hard to believe that something like that could happen in real life. One has to wonder why something like that could have happened . . . I mean surely there's no good reason for it, but aren't just the least bit curious to know what was going through that guy's head just before he decided it was time stab the guy behind 50 some times and remove his head from his shoulders?
.
One more reason to take the train, eh?
.
And remember if you're in Toronto, tonight, Zerg, Bovine, be there.

No comments: