Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Hurt Myself Today

You know I like the original, but god damn if I don't think that Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt is way better, and man how good is that video? Such very powerful imagery, or at least I think, but maybe I'm just a soppy git?
.
Cash's cover of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus is top shelf as well . . . and his cover of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage. Maybe he's just one of those guys who could do no wrong, and that includes when he was caught with a guitar full of amphetamines coming back from Mexico.
.
I don't know about you, but the video clip of the walking catfish in question in this article from Florida makes me think it's the end of the world or something. Look at those freaks of nature, wriggling across the pavement, yep pavement as in the streets of a subdivision, completely out of water. That just ain't right.
.
And people eat these things? I don't know if I could bring myself to eat them, smash them on the head with a shovel yes, eat no. And this is coming from some one who will handle and have eaten jackfish and not thought twice about it. . . those catfish look more like freaky eels than fish . . . kinda like Ling I suppose . . . scary shit.
.
But they don't begin to compare to the Mekong Catfish from the Mekong River of Thailand that can grow up to 10' long. Now that's one fish that you don't want to mess with.
.
Honestly I'm not sure if I find those walking catfish or the mutated fish (what kind of fish did it used to be?) from Northern Alberta in this article freakier. You've got to see the humour in a mutated fish turning up just in time for a clean water conference.
.
From more of the believe it or not files, only I ain't making this shit up like Ripley did, seems that according to this article there's new forensic evidence shows that Captain Cook was not the first white to "discover" New Zealand, he was just the first to do so without being eaten.
.
All I can say about that is sure, it makes sense and hopefully the Maoris still aren't in the habit of eating tourists (after all the Maori did eat the Moriori (native people of the Chatham Islands) and those they didn't eat they enslaved), I may like to visit that island some day. And when I'm there maybe even get some sweet Maori ink, samples here, but not on my face . . . although that might make the Maori angry and want to eat me so maybe it's not the best idea.
.
We've been slack on the geekery so let's do this up right, with more news of the Watchmen movie - check out the new images from the film here and to go back in time a bit how's about another look at the movie posters for this film from the SDCC. I think that things are looking pretty good and yes this is a movie that may just warrant a trip into the city to see.
.
Now let's all watch the movie trailer again. Who watches the Watchmen? I do.
.
That's it for now, go read the paper or something.

No comments: