Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gotta Go Back in Time

Nope it's an entry about Michael J. Fox this time, it's a collection of old timey photos of Thunder Bay, Ontario that were emailed to me a good long while ago that I thought I'd share. First up, a Post Office at the corner of Red River Road and Court Street.
.
.
Here's a shot of Chippewa Park from 1932.
.
.
Here's the Finnish Labour Temple from 1922, I'm sure you've eaten in the basement here at the world famous Hoito restaurant, or at least the fine folks in Thunder Bay think it's world famous . . . but then again the also think Thunder Bay is a Megopolis, so take it with a grain of salt.
.

.
You can easily read the caption on this one I think.
.


.
Here's a photo of the
James Whalen, a tug boat that was used as an ice breaker on Lake Superior, taken in 1922 .
.


Here's a photo taken July 2 1934 at one half of the city's semi-centennial, must be Port Arthur by the looks of it.
.

.
Kakabeka Falls taken in 1885.
.

.
Here's a cool shot of Memorial Avenue taken in 1914 before there was a Memorial Avenue. . . I have to say it looks a whole lot different now . . . to get it's present glory you'll have to picture a titty bar and quick lube place behind a fast food place just past the
mall.
.

.
And here's
Silver Islet from 1900.
.

.
Here's Memorial Avenue snowed in on
February 2, 1939.
.

.
And finally here's Syndicate Avenue at Victoria Avenue all the way back in 1890, I have to say it looks a little different now with the mall being there don't it?
.


.
Wow, ain't Blogger a bitch for inserting photos and text and having your formatting getting all fucked up . . . oh well I'm sure in a couple tries I'll figure out the easy way.
.
Anyway that's her for now, enjoy the pics and if you're in the Thunder Bay area and want a challenge take current pics to match these ones and send them to me. I think it'd be pretty cool to do don't you?
.
Laterz.

No comments: