Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Thursday, October 30, 2008

So I heard it from a friend of a friend of mine . . .

. . . ah yes the urban legend, a great tradition, and likely one that will never be stopped. They're too much fun, and with the ease of the Internet and email you can spread them like wildfire not just from house to house but right around the world with a couple key taps and a mouse click.
.
One bit of advice though, odds are if you get an email that's been forwarded a billion times to a zillion people warning you about the dangers of pop cans, plastic food containers, aliens reading your thoughts and stealing your PIN number, residents of whatever country you're in writing to their government requesting to become an illegal alien for its lucrative benefits, missing kids or dogs, gang initiations, oh fuck it the list could go on forever, you've seen them and you've probably sent them. Odds are, it's not true.
.
I mean come on people think about it for a minute, if there was some news that was this earth shattering don't you think it would be reported in a legitimate news source other than your crazy old Aunty's email account who got it from her friend who got it from her nephew who's going to University in the city majoring in bong hits and minoring in Arts?
.
But who knows, some of these emails might be true, like the ones from Nigerian Princes, the ones for cock enlargement and mortgage refinancing . . . man if I had the time to respond to all of these I'd need a wheel barrow to carry my johnson in from my house, on its 82nd mortgage with rates so low the mortgage companies are actually paying me for the opportunity to float me the loan, to my money bin for a Scrooge McDuck style swim in my fortune.
.
Just do me one little favour, if you really really really must forward one of these emails, fact check it first, please?
.
Make sure there really is a little girl out there who will get a nickel from Bicks for each time this email gets forwarded to pay for her emergency surgery to remove her body which is made of burlap and leaves and has to live in a giant pickle jar because she has no immunities and her parents can't afford a proper bubble for her to live in. Personally I like to do my checking of these things on Snopes (I'm sure there are other sites, I know some how like to fact check here when it's generally accepted that these guys are a better source of information, after all their tag line says they are the world's only reliable news source) they've got a really good database there and a whole lotta interesting information too boot.
.
No matter, at least you can test your urban legend knowledge here if you like. I rocked 22 out of 30 on the beginner level and 14 out of 20 on the Advanced level . . . so I guess I'm fairly consistent with my urban legend knowledge.
.
Since tomorrow is Halloween, let's get in the spirit, eh? Here's a collection of the 35 most insane Halloween costumes from around the world from the good people over at Cracked. Number 26 and 18 are big time winners in mine book.
.
Number 20 just looks like some kinda fucked up holiday themed Luchador, but I'd love to see him wrestle. I could see him finishing his opponents with some kinda stiff and straight falling headbutt while shouting "Timber". Fuck I should be a booker. I mean that idea's no worse than GI Bro.
.
Now how's about these vintage pictures that capture 'Halloween in the Time of Cholera'. Number 8 creeps the shit right out of me.
.
Now it's time for more top notch reporting from Cracked with the 6 Signs You're About to be Attacked by Zombies. I don't know about you but I'm starting to prepare for World War Z (film scheduled for a 2010 release) . . . I already believe there is at least one zombie wondering the streets of my fair home town.
.
And here's a list someone has compiled of 25 scary movies to watch for Halloween. I'd say over all a good list, no idea why Poltergeist and the Blair Witch Project are on it though.
.
I think that's the Halloweenie stuff I've got for today, so how's about we go with one of the finest examples of vanity license plates I've seen in who knows how long, and that's saying a lot because generally I believe that vanity plates are not cool. Someone thought long and hard about that one, and kudos to them . . . and who knows, maybe they are the other other other white meat.
.
Right this is probably about long enough already, but I've got one more thing to share before I goes . . . ever here of a little Canadian band that tried to do everything they could so no one would know they were from Canada, eh, called Rush? Maybe you have, anyway check out these guys who are at least as awesome who rock some Rush on kid's toy instruments. If you liked what they did with Rush you'll love what they do with Metallica's Master of Puppets.
.
Later taters.

No comments: