Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Are you ready to rock?

Well this morning I'm off to the 'Peg to see Lamb of God, Trivium, Machine Head and Gojira play at the Walker Theatre (well now it's the Burton Cummings Theatre or the "Burty" as the hip kids call it). The building doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's really quite awesome on the inside and it's a great place to see a show (1646 seat turn of the last century theatre) with an interesting history, but I'm a big geek so you might not think so.

The Walker is also the venue where I saw Motorhead (that was an awesome show, it was pretty amazing to be n the same room, granted it was a very large one, as one of the most important men in metal) play, along with Damn 13, 3 Inches of Blood and Corrosion of Conformity, and that was the same night that I developed my tinnitus.

But don't worry from what I've read tinnitus is not dangerous and there's nothing that can be done about it. Now I'm the guy at the rock shows with bright yellow pieces of foam stuck in his ears. Learn from my mistake on this one.

And since we're talking rock a cruise by a friend's blog earlier this morning brought to mind Apocalyptica. If you're not familiar with them imagine four cellos covering metal songs; for an example here they are covering Metallica's One. If you liked that one there are more of their videos to be watched at YouTube. They're pretty awesome and I'm not just saying that because I'm partial to the music they cover, but I'm sure that helps.

I found this article rather amusing and it brought back some memories. Messing with the new guy is a tradition that seems to be everywhere and go back forever. When I worked pumping gas at a garage in high school other part time guys were sent out for left handed pipe wrenches and cans of compression for engines and other classics like that. When I worked in maintenance at a hospital the older guys in the shop thought that they had pulled one over on the two summer guys making us dress up in all sorts of safety gear (everything from coveralls to goggles to respirators) and walk through the hospital to dump some clear line down a supposedly plugged toilet . . . it didn't bother us at all and they thought it was hilarious and I suppose we deserved it.

After all we did screw one guy's tools to his peg board on the wall and I did connect the department manager's truck horn to the turn signal so it would sound in blasts that matched the flash of the signal . . . good times.

And here's a warning to my pirate mates - be careful when speeding around with your parrot on your shoulder; this German guy just might lose his licence for it. And now some good news, or at least an item of interest, for the pirates in my life - what is believed to be Blackbeard's (aka Edward Teach aka Edward Thatch aka Edward Drummond) ship The Queen Anne's Revenge (not to be confused with the Flogging Molly song "Queen Anne's Revenge") is being completely excavated. Well shiver me timbers . . . you can read about it here me hearties.

And in some quasi pirate related news Mezco will be releasing a line of figures based on the classic piece of cinema that is The Goonies. You can read about the figures here and if this doesn't excite you then maybe you've grown up a little since 1985 or don't really understand that Goonies never die . . . right Derek? The line will feature Sloth, Mouth, Mickey, Data and Chunk.

In case you're wondering what your favourite Goon Docks residents are looking like now, well now-ish, here's a cast reunion photo from 2001.

Well I think that's enough for now. Until next time, you stay classy San Diego.

No comments: