Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Monday, March 26, 2007

There must be some kinda way out of here . . .

Wow, who watched (how's that for some unintentional alliteration?) the season finale of BSG last night? What a great episode, now the only shitty deal is that I have to wait until the fall to see where it goes from there. And of course there are questions, what are the four new Cylons going to do, is Starbuck the fifth and final Cylon, who did the cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" (although I'm more familiar with Jimi Hendrix's cover) at the end of the ep and do I take TV too seriously?

On an up note according to this article Sci-Fi has signed BSG for 22 more episodes, up from 13, and are going to be airing a 2 hour 'event' in the fall. I hope that Space runs it as well.

Since I mentioned a cover song up there, and man do I love cover songs, check out the creepiest cover of 'Close to You' ever. It's from the Neil Gaiman co-written movie "MirrorMask". If you haven't seen it check it out, it's very good and kinda strange - Gaiman is a great writer, he hasn't disappointed me yet. Well worth watching for sure.

And since we're talking music, it looks like alternative rock cult legends Dinosaur Jr are touring again, including a stop at the Garrick Centre in Winnipeg on Monday May 28. I'm surprised to see this, after all it's been ten years since their last release . . . I'll have to see if I can't track down a copy of their new record for a test listen. The Garrick (a converted movie theatre) is a great place to see a show and Dinosaur Jr were good enough to have a couple records released on the Black Flag founded SST record label and to appear on the Judgement Night soundtrack with Del tha Funkee Homosapien.

I wonder what the crowd at this show would look like? Aging rock geeks with thick rimmed glasses and Doc Martens lost in a sea of plaid? I think it would be worth checking out, anyone interested?

We'll I'm going to say that if you haven't read or listened to Henry Rollins' journals from his time with Black Flag "Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag" you really should. It's a great read/listen and even though I'm a fan, I was surprised at the life that one of the most important American hardcore punk bands lived.

One last bit of info; I was told that because of my hard hitting coverage of the Sioux Lookout vs Wiki/Local Business Directory battle I was linked here from the National Post (or was it the Globe and Mail?). Anyway I haven't found the article with the link to here, but I did find this article (even if they did get the name of the town wrong in the title). If anyone can find the linking article please send it along. Who knew I was famous?

Now I'm going to get disconnected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck, no I don't mind that you came and left a comment. First of all I am going to go fracking bonkers having to wait until January for the new season to start. But the good thing is they will break up that time with their two hour episode. And yes, Starbuck is the fifth and final Cylon. The major question to me is...WHY did the final five and the seven we've seen separate? Well I have the first two seasons on DVD and will buy the third so that should sufficiently hold me off for a while. LOL Oh and would you happen to know what that song was they played? It started out as sounding like classical violin or something but turned into an awesome hard rock thing. I want to download it. If you happen to know drop by my space please and lkeave me a note. And YES that was an awesome episode, I'm in love with that show. It's so fucked up at times it's cool.