Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Spirited Energy

As you may or not be aware Manitoba has a Spirited Energy campaign going on to promote the province. Well in the past few days I've been sent a couple videos that I don't think will make this promotion, one which has since been removed from YouTube, but showed a we'll say innovative gentlemen caught being caught short on a surveillance camera at the Winnipeg Square and using one of the potted trees as an emergency toilet and this one showing a brawl at the 2005 Winnipeg Oktoberfest.

Don't get me wrong, Winnipeg is still One Great City . . . just ask the Weakerthans.

Now in something that I think is completely un-Winnipeg related, check out episode one of the Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show. For some reason I really enjoyed that video and now I want my own Wheel of Fun.

And here's a story that sounds like it could be from rural Manitoba, but it comes to us via the UK; apparently this bloke owned farmland deemed as 'greenbelt' and as such couldn't build on it, so he did what anyone would and built himself a three bedroom bungalow hidden behind hay bales in a barn. Since you're reading about it you can guess he was found out and you'll never guess what the council wants him to do with his home. I guess it's not always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission . . . . but you gotta admire the ingenuity of a farmer.

And here's one final sweet item for you - a scale replica of the Battle of Helms Deep, from J R R Tolkein's The Two Towers, made entirely out of candy.

Well I'm off to go talk to the hot dog, I hear it can read my mind . . . or go to the ice fishing derby and hopefully win my ass $1000.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Helm's Deep replica... HILARIOUS btw. And I've seen those "Spirited Energy" adverts... SAD SAD.

Did you know there is an inquiry into how much the Gov spent on that campaign and how TRULY effective it was? HA

Chuck said...

I don't think I've seen the actually spirited energy adds, but a couple amusing spookfs on them I have . . . I'm not suprised to hear that there's an inquiry into how much money was spent and its effectiveness . . . but gauging how effective an ad campaign like that would be soo-oh hard . . . it's so subjective.

I often wonder about advertising and sponsorship . . . I mean does having home depot on a race car hood really make ppl go to the home depot who weren't considering it before or someone start buying Canadian after watching the Molson Indy?

Or maybe I'm just too media savvy - Marshall McLuhan ain't got nothing on me!