Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Monday, April 30, 2007

How do you stop an exploding man?

Well I'm sure that question and others will be answered tonight and over the next three weeks on NBC's Heroes. Me I'm very curious as to how they are going to pull it all together . . . I've been liking the show a whole lot, but I have to admit the six week hiatus from new episodes was more than a little bullshit. I don't know why the networks feel they have to do this . . . start them late end them early, whatever just show them all the way through like my good friends over at BSG. If the show wasn't so addicting I'd give up on it for that . . . and don't think I can't . . . I stopped watching Star Trek Enterprise when I thought it got to be too much bullshit, but then again who didn't?

Although Stephen Lynch over at the NY Post is a harsher critic of the show, thinking that it's lifted major parts of its story elements from Alan Moore's Watchmen (which has supposed to be made into a movie that's been going into production for the past decade, now scheduled for a 2008 release) and Marvel's X-Men. You can read the article here if you like. If you haven't already read The Watchmen, you should it was a very good read . . . but I've probably said that before.

And since I briefly mentioned BSG here's a screencap of Leah Cairns, who plays the pilot Racetrack on the show, topless from an episode of CTV's Robson Arms. Gotta love Canadian television, eh?

And here's some good news for other migraine sufferers, a recent study has shown that migraines might be good for your brain. Yeah believe it or not in this study migraine sufferers showed less cognitive decline than non-sufferers as they aged. You can read an article on this here . . . and I'm pleased to hear this after being laid up yesterday afternoon with a vicious attack of brain pains.

And I would like to leave with this final note for the day, a big thank you to Alan from The Real Absinthe blog who stopped by last week to leave some comments and info after my brief mention of wormwood, Absinthe and removing body parts to impress your favourite whore.

For those of you who didn't read his comment, here it is (I put in the links, the info itself is from Alan's comment),

"Wormwood won't make you crazy. For you to absorb enough thujone (what you get when you distill wormwood) to do that, you'd have to drink so much absinthe you'd die many times from alcohol poisoning first.

Pernod absinthe, as carried by the LCBO, is real, but has a very low thujone content. Between the LCBO and Health Canada, they have a limit way below European or World Health Organisation guidelines. There are many other selling sites to look at: see my blog for details. Right now, Spirits Corner is the only one managing to sell real French/Swiss absinthe to Canadian customers."

Thank you for the information Alan, I'm sure it will be put to use sometime somewhere.

Until next time

2 comments:

Alan said...

My pleasure, Chuck.

Canada is home to a lot of absinthe-deprived people (I said DEPRIVED, not DEPRAVED ... ), so it's good to be able to help a bit.

And for those who are as obsessed as me, there's even an "Absinthe in Canada" forum.

http://absinthecanada.hosted-forum.com/

As far as I can tell, no-one from the LCBO or Health Canada has joined it!

Anonymous said...

Migraines are GOOD? WTH? Well then, I should be a damn genius by now then. eesh.

BTW, I agree with the whole starting and stopping shows mid season. I think it's LAME. I understand from the writers at Lost say, that it's because they can only make so many shows a year. Makes sense. Money, time etc. can only dictate so many eppies. But then, why can't they just stretch it around one block of time?

I heard that Lost may not begin next season until JANUARY so that they can just do a straight run... sorta like "24". Perhaps they will do something like that for Heroes once it establishes itself more? WICKED awesome show too btw.

So we all know now that it's not Peter that explodes right? Right? ummmmm yeah... right.