Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Insert witty title here

I just can't bear to . . . but hey it's a big and interesting day in history today, for example did you know that today Lisa Lisa (born Lisa Velez) from Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam (not to be confused with The Cult or My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult) is 41 today? Honestly I didn't and until I read that I had even forgot about her and her band's existence.

Today in 1929 American Civil Rights Leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was born in Atlanta, Georgia.

It was also on today in 1947 that the body of 22-year-old Elizabeth Short ,nicknamed the Black Dahlia, is discovered in a vacant lot, her mutilated corpse chopped in half at the waist. Her murder is known as The Black Dahlia Murder (not to be confused with the contemporary metal band), and becomes one of the most lurid murder cases in LA. To date the murder has never been found. This story became the subject of a Brian De Palma film starring Josh Hartnett and Mia Kirshner as the Dahlia based on the novel by James Elroy.

I haven't seen the film but I'm guess it can't be that great if it's only got a rating of 5.5/10 on IMDB.

And in 1974 the first episode of Happy Days aired and finally in 1988 Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder's racist statements regarding the breeding history of slaves and black athletes costs him his job at CBS.

You know I'm sure some more historically important things happened today, but how can you mention those in the same breath as the debut of the Fonz?

Although decidedly not of historical significance, yet, or a pop culture icon, check out this website of an Englishwoman Lois who one day chucked it all in and rode her Yamaha XT 225 Serrow from Alaska to Argentina. Now that'd be a serious adventure, don't you think? I think I'll start small and take mine up Sioux Mountain when the weather permits.

But let's change focus a bit, it's no secret I like photography and someday I might be a good photographer, but that's besides the point, how's about I share some cool photos I've found? Like this set of strange and maybe confusing signs? I've actually seen this one live and in the flesh in Oz. Or how about these photos that look Photoshopped, but aren't? Cool eh? This one really freaks me out though. Or these great photos that were snapped at *just* the right time. Now there are some really awesome pics there for sure.

And since this post is decidedly lacking in the geekery department, how about I close off with the Top 10 Craziest Star Wars Tats? I think this one has to be my favourite, but I don't know if it's as awesome as the finger 'stache tat. Now that's a classic.

Until next time.

No comments: