Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Leaving on a prop plane . . .

Well folks I'm heading up to Wunnumin Lake this morning for work and should be home tomorrow evening, barring anything unforeseen or horrific. But I'm quite sure that the worst thing that will happen is I'll be too cold and there won't be anything on TV tonight.

But hey enough of the whinging, eh? Let's get down to some serious business, like did you know that it was yesterday in 1951 that every one's favourite Communist Dictator (contemporary of course) Fidel Castro had his dreams of being a pro baseball player dashed when he was tossed out of a winter league game during tryouts for the Washington Senators? Apparently it's true . . . imagine what Cuba would look like now if he had been successful at baseball? Imagine what the MLB would look like if he had been successful at baseball.

And of course let's not forget that yesterday actor Heath Ledger was found dead in a New York apartment. Mr. Ledger was 28 years old, meaning he just missed out on the Greats Dead at 27 Club which includes such greats as Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain. Maybe there are more? You tell me.

Perhaps his performance of The Joker in The Dark Knight will be his last on screen appearance, depending on what happens with his film currently in production, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

And if Mr. Ledger could have held off one more day he would share a death date with every one's favourite drippy clock painting Surrealist artist Salvador Dali, who died on this very day, but in the year 1989.

I like Dali's work myself, and was lucky enough to see an exhibit of his in London, England in August of 2001. That's right bitches, I travel and enjoy art, I'm more than just a wise cracking, cartoon watching, quasi-news reading wise ass. You can check out more here if you're interested.

And today I'll sign off with one more reason to visit England, in case you didn't have enough already, apparently the average Brit drinks the equivalent of 37 bottles of whisky each year. I don't know about you but I'm way behind on my boozing already by this standard and it's not even February yet.

Better get on that this weekend, eh?

Until next time.

No comments: