Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Monday, January 28, 2008

Yar Matie!

Avast me hearties, did ye know that May 2nd is Annual Scurvy Awareness Day? Well it is, and because I know it's something we're all concerned about, you can learn more about it over here. Now go suck a lime or something, don't want your teeth and hair falling out and blood pouring from your lips, gums and eyes do ye?

And here's a review of the memoirs of someone we know is all to familiar with scurvy, none other than Cap'n Crunch hisself (it's a well established fact that crunchberries are a poor source of vitamin C) aptly entitled "Memoirs of a Cap'n, the sad life of Horatio Magellan Crunch". Personally I'm waiting for Frankenberry's autobiography, because you know that guy has had an interesting life and would have great stories about Count Chocula and Boo-Berry (is it just me or is he so far in the closet he's got mothballs in his ears?).

And if you really miss those sugary breakfast time monsters from your youth and can't find them in the grocery store, you can always score some on eBay.

Speaking of things you can't find any more, how about this list from USA Today of 25 Things That Have Disappeared in the Last 25 Years? I have to disagree with #19 though, I mean my truck is defo not 25 years old and it has manual windows, and I've been other vehicles that have them as well. Makes me wonder how accurate the rest of the list is.

But maybe it's not specific products you miss, but their ads? Like these few sweet old timey ads; oh how the times they are a changin'.

Or perhaps it's the optimistic view of the future that people used to have, like the world of the year 2000 as featured in these postcards from the year 1900. I think they were a little off the mark, but not totally, I mean their moving pavement isn't quite right, but who hasn't enjoyed the people sized conveyor belts in large airports?

But hey enough of the past, how about some of the future? How about my future? Just so you know I'm not planning anything but if I ever get arrested I want to get hauled in like this double murdering bastard from Allentown. And just so you know, this is the kind of obituary I'd like, no sense becoming overly serious at the end when I can laugh at just about anything now, eh?.

Well I think this is it for now, until next time.

No comments: