Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ex-tree, Ex-tree, Read All About It

Happiest of newspaper days to you good readers.
.
It's not newspaper or Wednesday related, unless you want to make your own weak "Hump-Day" joke, but do you think that the "C-Word" (you know the one I mean) is pretty much the harshest sounding and most vulgar of all of our great English curses? As far as I know you can't make it sound any nicer, it always comes out sounding pretty harsh and I bet it would even if you had cherubic looking little kid say it. But no matter . . . maybe you've wondered where it comes from, what its history is? Well wonder no longer, because for you fine readers here it is. Although I have to say you'd think the writer's name would have been Mike, not Matt.
.
Maybe that had too many words in it, well you're in luck because the BBC was working a documentary on the word (here's another write up), which I would imagine would be a lot like the one they did on the word "fuck".
.
Granted it's a little more serious, but more fitting considering the date, but this website has 100's of colour photos taken by the French in World War 1. Yep you read that right, colour photos of World War 1. The site was pretty slow for me, but had some great photos . . . it's a fantastic site for the history geek . . . i mean buff yeah buff that's the ticket.
.
While we're sorta on the subject, how about this collection of World War 2 propaganda posters from both the Axis and the Allies? I really like the style of these posters, there's something about them from top to bottom, the art, the message, the iconography. I can't explain it exactly, but I'm a fan none the less. When I was in Ottawa a few years ago I spent half a day at the War Museum and they had a huge display of WW2 era propaganda posters up.
.
I'm not saying that display is still there but if you're in Ottawa do yourself a favour and go to the War Museum (if you touch Hitler's limo and alarm will sound. Don't ask how I know I just do), it's an amazing place. Oh yeah and stay away from the titty bar above Zaphod's. It sucks ass, and not in the good way.
.
Here's another collection, but this one is just American propaganda.
.
I've made it no secret that I'm also a fan of the pinup art and girls of yesterday and I guess what is a natural extension of that is the nose art from the WW2 planes. Here's a small collection of some if you're interested in checking it out.
.
That's enough for today, but I'll leave you with some pictures from the Tonight Show of Xtina looking rather pinupish. Sure she's no Vargas girl or Bettie Page, but who is?
.
Until next time.

No comments: