Where People Thought

What I'm Watching

Friday, July 04, 2008

Death Magnetic?

If you're a metal fan, and if not I have to wonder why, you may already recognise the title of today's blog as the title of Metallica's upcoming album. I'm hoping that it's going to be better than their last few releases, and I know many others are as well, but this brief write up from The Gauntlet has a short ad/video of promoting the release of the new record (September) and features audio from a new, as of the writing of that article, unnamed song . . . which I have to admit sounds pretty good which gives me hope.
.
The guys at The Gauntlet also spend some time slamming Metallica here over their Mission Metallica site where you can get some previews of the new record in production or if you want to pay get even more stuff like exclusive web content, album DL's, album delivery, artwork, all sorts of shit like that. You click the link and read it for yourself. I can't see myself signing up for any of the pay content, nor am I surprised by it . . . I am a fan but I can admit that Metallica has been a rock brand, not a rock band for a long time now. But I will be getting this record, that I promise.
.
Speaking of new records, has anyone checked out the new Priest album yet? I've been meaning too, just haven't got around to it, I mean like Priest, but a two hour concept album? Who do they think they are, Dream Theater? I thought Priest's last album was pretty damned good, save for the one stinker known as Loch Ness.
.
It's not metal, but check out this guy rock the shit of out keyboard, I don't know that I could listen to a whole couple hours of it but that's pretty cool, might make for good mood music. But if you are the kinda person who likes their music electronical and all beeps and boops like the soundtrack from that arcade you spent all your money, in the form of quarters, in during the 80's check out my friend's band Zerg. You can see them play live in person at the Bovine Sex Club on August 1st. If it weren't such a hike I'd be checking out it.
.
While we're talking electronic music, remember Mario Paint? Well it seems that this cat here has spent 20 hours using Mario Paint Composer (computer software that mimics the music system from the original Mario Paint for the Super NES) to recreate Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Soooo bad ass . . . when we used to piss around with Mario Paint I don't think we got anything more complicated than Mary had a little lamb and some bad, both in quality and content, animated sequences.
.
Speaking of Queen according to this article they're due to release a new record on September 1st with Paul Rodgers fronting the band. As far as I know I haven't heard any Queen with Rodgers singing, so I'll with hold judgement, but how, tell me how do you replace Freddie Mercury? Man just the mustache and gapped tooth smile are iconic, that's not even getting into his singing talents.
.
I never thought to look before but there are lots of videos of songs done in Mario Paint on the You Tubes. Once again, and you thought I had too much time on my hands. I just wanna know what Kurt would think of this?
.
But let's move away from music for a bit, yeah? How about this look back in time, all the way back to 1968 to see what at least one person thought the world would be like in 2008. All I wanna know is where's my hover-car and which is your favourite rocket service company? Ah so close and yet so far . . . guess someone watched a few too many episodes of the Jetsons . . . which is about an accurate a view of the future as the Flintstones was of the past.
.

No comments: